Published on June 18th, 2013 | by Peggy2
Are You a Good Friend?
I am fortunate. There. I said it. Now I need to find a block of wood and knock on it because I most certainly just jinxed myself out of all my good fortune.
I have friends. Best friends, good friends, party friends, coffee friends and acquaintances. I may even have friends who are “suspect” enough to bury evidence in a pinch…kidding of course.
But am I a good friend? It’s a question I ask myself often. I know I try to be, but sometimes I get so busy with life in general I can’t find the time, I wish I had more time to see all the people I love. And that’s a struggle for me because I’m a people pleaser.
So it got me thinking, what makes a good friend? Here’s my list…
- Honesty (to a point). Little white lies to keep the peace is not a terrible thing. Just sayin’.
- Laughter-Those who laugh together bond at a deeper level.
- Common interests-Lets just say, if you are musically inclined we’ll get along just fine.
- Differences of opinion-If friends can keep the arguing to a minimum, it can be loads of fun having a conversation with a friend that has different ideas than you.
- Compromise-Sometimes friends have to get out of their comfort zone and let someone else pick the restaurant or hotel or vacation spot.
- Silliness-Acting young at times, keeps you young. Find friends that know and appreciate that.
- Loyalty-They don’t talk smack about you behind your back, they say it to your face.
- You fight fair-Friends should have the occasional argument, keep it sane.
- Openness-Break down those walls and let people in, believe me, a beautiful thing happens.
- Call first-Let your friends know you’re thinking of them. Call them, stop texting. Texting is ok if you’re in touch regularly. A routine call (even if it’s short and sweet) is a simple gesture that solidifies your relationship and lets the other person know you’re willing to put in the time.
- Hug-Even if it’s once a year. Get into their personal space and make them uncomfortable.
Do you have a “what makes a good friend” list? What’s on your list? Are you a good friend?